5.05.2007

Celebrating In Newness

Daily, I am in awe.

For the past 386 days, I have continually been in awe by the newness of my son. Every day he seems to do something new, and every day it surprises Melissa and I. We look at each other, shake our heads and say, "Can you believe he just did that?!"

Today was a proud moment for me...and an experimental one for Keegan. This morning, I took my son to McDonald's for the first time. A new first...just Daddy and Keegan sitting down at McD's eating breakfast and enjoying a Saturday morning out together. There is something Americana about a father and son eating an early Saturday morning breakfast at McDonald's...

This was experimental in that Keegan got to eat a manly Deluxe breakfast and sample all of the tasty delights of a hot, styrofoam packaged, smorgasbord. No specially tested Gerber today. No mixed grains cereal or oatmeal. No healthy, vitamin enriched food off of the baby aisle at Walmart. No siree! I have introduced the archenemy of all parents: McDonald's.

Is McDonald's all bad? It has taken a pretty rough hit in recent years. From the urban legends of dirty needles in the ballpits to the documentary of "Supersize Me," it has certainly taken a few punches. However, they have tried to clean up their appearance by dropping the option to "supersize," sprucing up their stores with flat panel tv monitors, fireplaces, and comfortable couches and lounge chairs, creating a line of premium products, and a renewed sensitivity toward customers and their desire for healthier food.

Have I started Keegan into a downward spiral that will leave him circling the drain of life, overweight and under-exercised? By enjoying this simple pleasure of breakfast with dad at the largest artery clogging burger chain in the world, will Keegan become enslaved to the magical charms that McDonald's seems to have upon the children of America?

I'm not convinced. I'm a doubter of this popular myth.

I believe that I have the power and the responsibility to make choices. I believe it is also my responsibility to teach my son how to make wise choices. Will I succumb to his every wish as a five year old child when he wants to go and eat greasy burgers and fries at McDonald's just so he can go and play in a urine saturated, hairball infested, germorama, indoor playground? Not a chance.

But that won't stop me from enjoying a quiet Saturday morning at McDonald's every now and then eating pancakes and hashbrowns with my son, whom I love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen brother! Deep down, all the haters like it too. If Ronald was such a bad guy, Grimice and those Fry-Guys wouldn't hang out with him!

Jeff LeSaicherre