5.08.2007

Reflections On Loving The Vulnerable

Much has been said about Craig Ferguson's opening monologue on his show, The Late Late Show, in which he shared about his battles with alcoholism, and his decision to protect the vulnerable members of society from jokes made by him. I am sure that you have heard atleast one minister reference it in a sermon, or a coworker mention it in passing, and so I do not wish to beat a dead horse. But, I do want to share a few reflections on this amazing moment from late night television.

As a society, we have held a video camera up in front of the "babies" of society for far to long. The weak and vulnerable in our society are preyed upon by us, the consumer. We pay to see shows like Entertainment Tonight march the vulnerable across the screen, highlighting whatever mistake or sin they participated in recently. What is worse, is when these vulnerable people "fall," we push them off to the side and move on to the next one...

I wish that I could say that this is what "others" or the "world" does, but that would be a lie. I am afraid that far to many times in my own life, I have participated in this senseless mockery of God's children. I would be lying if I told you that I have not been brought to tears on many occasions lately because of this.

My mind turns to the book of John and the story in chapter 9 of the man who Jesus healed who was born blind. I find it so sad that to Jesus' disciples, this man held no importance other than being an example for a deep theological discussion. They did not care enough to ask Christ to heal him, they did not invite him to join them in their journey, and they did not offer any sort of help to the man. His value to them was simply to be the jumping off point for their question, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

I also consider Matthew 9:10-13, "While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew's house, many tax collectors and 'sinners' came and ate with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, 'Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?' One hearing this, Jesus said, 'It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

How often in my own life, have I mocked the mistakes of vulnerable people in our society, like Britney Spears, Anna Nicole, Paris Hilton, the Osbournes, and others? Just as important, how often in my life have I made fun of the vulnerable people that I know personally, or those that I might brush against on the street. It brings me immense emotional pain to think back to my junior high and high school years where I treated many people in my life as pieces of trash; laughing at their imperfections, yet not recognizing the grotesque, black stain upon my own heart.

I have begun a journey of asking for forgiveness. There is no way that I will ever be able to remember all of the people that I may have slighted over the years, but as I come across them, I am seeking forgiveness. I want to live out Isaiah 58. By doing away with "malicious talk," I can begin to be an individual who will "rebuild the ancient ruins." I want to bring validation to those of God's children who may not yet realize, because of all of the times that they have been cut down, that they have a Father and a friend who loves them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This resonates so true. You are a gifted person - thank you for enlightening and reminding me not to cast stones!! Because I do not see these "celebutantes" in person, I think I can judge from under the cloak of anonymity. Its easy to forget the Big Guy sees our hearts and that's what is important.